Lupicia's Siesta

strongly fruity.  Intensely fruity.  Deeply...well, you get the idea.  This one is a green mate base flavored with (you guessed it) passionfruit.  Green mate, as opposed to the toasted leaves that make up yerba mate "tea", is drunk mostly in Brazil.  At least, this is what Wikipedia tells me; I actually couldn't find any other sources on green mate.



matestraw.jpg

[a bombilla from Argentina - via urbanmkr] 



As the name suggests, siesta is really soothing.  It may smell like ALL PASSIONFRUIT ALL THE TIME, but it doesn't taste like it.  Lupicia's description of green mate as "drinking salad" isn't far off the mark.  It's not that it tastes exactly like a green salad, but it is certainly reminiscent of a slightly sweet variety of lettuce.  There's no bitterness in this one, and it's not overly sweet, which is nice for those of you that hate sweet teas.




I prepared it hot, but Lupicia also suggests it is good for making iced tea.  I suspect they're right; the sweetness might come through even more in an iced preparation.  Either way, I think this one's definitely worth a try, especially for people who claim they don't like tea.  One thing I will say that I don't care for is how dry it makes my mouth feel, but that can be overlooked in light of the fact that it has all these other good features.



4pots.jpg

Nice and mild, with a distinctive salad-like flavor.  Not too sweet, no bitterness, and despite its' incredibly fruity smell, it's a mellow cuppa.




Taken from http://thatpourgirl.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment