Coconut Masala Chai - Yogic Chai

Have I mentioned that I adore chai? I have been fortunate to try many, many different kinds and have discovered some wonderful versions. Chai recipes vary from region to region, town to town, and even house to house. Families have their own family recipes that are handed down. (And, of course, each family thinks they have the best recipe.)

One of my great discoveries last year was a company called Yogic Chai. They offer a wide range of interesting takes on this beverage. I recently received some new samples of their products to try and I've been looking forward to experimenting with them.

Today's chai was a Coconut Masala Chai. I had tried some outstanding coconut teas from Spotted Leopard Teas in 2008 so I was excited about this tea.

The dry leaf was gorgeous - reminded me of snow. There were dark rolled Assam leaves mixed with fine flaked coconut, pieces of clove and cinnamon sticks, dried ginger, and green cardamom. I love that this company uses Fair Trade tea and organic ingredients. Bonus points. The scent of this leaf was of cardamom and ginger. I placed 1 tsp of the tea in 8 ounces of water in a pan and brought it to a boil. For my first batch, I simmered it for 3 minutes.

The scent of the brewed tea was warm, spicy, and full of cloves. The liquor was the color of apple cider. A few sips of this tea, both sweetened and unsweetened, convinced me that I had underbrewed this tea. The flavor was too weak and bland.

I started over. I again placed 1 tsp of the tea in 8 ounces of water. This time I simmered for 4 minutes. This method produced a much better tea.

Unsweetened - I detected a very distinct ginger bite and the rich spiciness of cloves. The coconut was there, very subtly, in the background.

With 1/2 tbs maple syrup - The ginger was even more apparent. I was really tasting the elements of the masala blend. It was an excellent masala chai, but the coconut just wasn't bold enough for me.

With the maple syrup and milk - The milk simply washed out the flavors. I think I will have to try substituting some milk for some of the water in the brewing if I wish to have this with milk. Alternately, the instructions on Yogic Chai's website suggest adding 1/4 cup milk after the tea has simmered and bring it to a boil without letting it boil over.

With sugar instead of maple syrup - The sugar dampened the bite of the ginger. It provided a flavorful, yet less spicy version, of this tea.

With sugar and milk - Sweet and smooth chai. Flavorful, but it tasted a bit more like commercially sold chai drinks.

Tea: Coconut Masala Chai
Source: Yogic Chai
Type: Chai (black tea base)
Brewing details: 1 tsp in 8 ounces water in a saucepan brought to a boil then simmered 4 min.
Comment: A lovely spicy chai. I'm going to have to go back to Spotted Leopard for my coconut fix, but Yogic has still produced a nice blend.



Taken from http://teapages.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment