Saturday in Santa Monica

Today Saturday we had Abbi, a very special guest, for lunch.
I wanted to present something fresh that could match the lightness of the screen porch where I had set the table.
I settled for a spinach, parmiggiano, and pine nuts salad, a piperade, and the classic clafouti (this time using yellow fruit).
Truth is that as much as I like avocados here, I could not keep on serving them as an appetizer even, so I got baby leaves of spinach (organic), seasoned them with salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon, and added parmiggiano flakes, pine nuts, and a few green olives. Once tossed, it was light and cool. I prepared a Basque Piperade for the entree. Piperade is made in France's Basque region, in the Southwest. They use a lot peppers and tomatoes in their cuisine, and this is a classic. I got one onion (they're very big here), two red peppers and one green, and tomatoes. I cut the onions in thin slices, and made them cook in medium low heat till they become translucent. Then I added the peppers cut in slices. When they were all soft, I added the tomatoes. I let cook for 15 minutes over low heat. I seasoned. When it was ready, I beat 4 whole eggs (organic) in a large bowl, added salt and pepper and added half of the preparation. I poured in a hot skillet with olive oil and made scrambled eggs. I kept the rest of the preparation hot.
When my scrambled eggs were ready, I served in a large round bowl, half with the preparation with eggs and half without eggs.
Piperade is usually served with Bayonne ham, a variety close to Serrano ham. I did not find any in the two shops where I went, and finally I chose a so called home made "prosciuto" which was very, very disappointing ... too much salt, not dry enough, slices badly cut ... Friday I baked a pear clafouti in this oven, in individual portions. This time I chose yellow fruit.
When they were ready, I left them cool in the oven, and served them warm.
We served a white chardonnay from Napa Valley with this meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment