Grapes Harvest in Anjou, France

Today we had been invited to harvest grapes at La Bergerie , near Angers, in the Anjou , as a part of the Oenology course I am doing at the University of Angers (this is my second year).
Anjou is an exquisite region, the light is beautiful, the Loire river splendid, the architecture of lime stone a regal. This is an area of chateaux and mansions, of wine and good food, of traditions and modernity.The Guegniards have been in the wine business for seven generations! The piece of land that we harvested was planted with cabernet Sauvignon, the grape used to make their red Anjou Evanescence . The grapes were perfectly ripe (I know, I ate quite many!). The family produces wine in the traditional way. Out of the 72 acres that the family owns, 65 are hand harvested! This allows a careful selection of grapes and the result is stunning !I saw how wine is made in this winery, so I bought a crate of Savennieres 2005, an appelation made with 100% of chenin grapes. It's a dry white wine with lots of character.
We had lots of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment