Martine's Birthday Cake (5)

Lights went dim and I walked into the dining room holding the cake with candles lit and everybody sang Joyeux Anniversaire!Our meal was thus closed by a raspberry Macaron cake brought by Carole: a pink girly cake with a delicate line of red fruit on top! I served in on a hand painted Chinese round plate with a floral design, the individual turquoise plates were also hand painted and of Qing design.The cake had a very subtle flavor and melted deliciously in the mouth. I added a bowlful of fresh raspberries that Martine had picked in her countryside home that morning for the raspberry lovers. It is always difficult to pair wine with dessert. I like contrast, so I do not like to serve a sweet wine like Sauternes. Champagne demi-sec used to be served with dessert, but I love Champagne before the meal starts, it wakes up my senses with its bubbles and fruity flavor. So I opted for a fine Cognac which with a strong flavor washed down the sugary cake. In the picture you see a Baccarat cognac glass and a Saint Louis carafe with a sliver plated topped cork where I keep my Cognac.

No comments:

Post a Comment