Aubergine Caviar: Another simple meal (2)

My market bags also had 4 small egg plants, 2 bunches of parsley, and 1 bunch of mint leaves. I was in Lebanon!
My menu?
Aubergine Caviar
Taboulet
Grilled Lamb
Grapes

Taboulet, humus, aubergine caviar, kebbe, and more are part of the "meze", small savory dishes that are served in the Middle East as appetizers. In spite of its name, Aubergine Caviar is not fishy.

AUBERGINE CAVIAR or baba ganoush : I cut the aubergines in two lengthwise and broiled them until brown. I removed them from the oven and put them in a plastic bag that I closed with a tight knot. After 15 minutes (I was peeling the vegetables for the minestrone), I removed them from the bag and peeled them. I place them on a strainer and let them drain overnight, with some fresh lemon juice so that they do not become dark.
The following morning, I peeled a garlic clove. I mixed over medium speed the garlic clove, 1 plain yogurt (culture and milk only), two Tbsp of sesame cream (can be bought in speciality stores), salt and pepper, until the consistency was creamy. Then I added my aubergines and mixed over low speed. I do not like the aubergine caviar too smooth, so I do not mix too long. Put in a ramequin, pour some olive oil on top, and serve. I served it with small leaves of romaine salad, but it is used as a dip with pita type bread.
Update: Kath has told me (see comment) that this dish is called baba ganoush or بابا غنوج in arabic. Thank you Kath!

TABOULET:
I pressed one lemon. I put 4 Tbsp of bulgur (see below) in the lemon juice and let it soften. I chopped 1 medium onion, I placed it in a small bowl with some salt, and let it stand for a while. I chopped the two bunches of flat parsley, a handful of mint leaves (left the rest to dry in the kitchen to make mint infusion), and put the greens in a salad bowl.
I chopped and added one ripe medium tomato.
It takes sometime to chop the parsley, but beware it needs to be done by hand! The result is not the same at all if you use an electric device.
I squeezed the onion between my palms, and added it to the vegetable mix. I also added the bulgur and olive oil to taste (pretty much for a good taboulet). Let it stand for a while so that everything is impregnated with fresh flavors, and serve cool, with romaine leaves (or pita bread)
Bulgur is whole wheat that has been washed, steamed, dehulled, dry-cooled, and cracked; it is used in the Middle East.
LAMB
I bought 2 lamb chops per pseson. I marinated them in a mix of herbs and olive oil and broil them over a rack so that I did not eat the fat. Golden outside pink inside: perfect!
I served Italia type grapes for a light dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment