Photo du Jour - Loulou's Slush Puppie


Does anyone remember Slush Puppies?

I grew up freezing my brain on them every summer while visiting my grandparents in Walla Walla, Washington. There was a little mom & pop grocery store where my sister and I would walk in the heat of the day to buy candy and Slush Puppies. My favorite flavor was Blue Raspberry.

Two nights ago it was sweltering here. Really hot and humid, and the air inside our house was just as hot as outside, so there was no relief. Until I made this frozen concoction.

I scooped a couple of big spoonfuls of homemade raspberry sorbet into a bowl, added a couple splashes of vodka and a bit of orange juice, blended it all together with a hand blender and voilà - an adult version of a Blue Raspberry Slush Puppie. Only it wasn't blue. But it was like instant air conditioning (and after two of them we didn't really notice how hot it was anymore).

Now I'm trying to come up with a good name for it. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment