My May market basket (in Paris)

I never go to the market with a list, I seek to be inspired - though I advise you do if you have a tendency to buy more than you need. If such is the case, write down the menus for the week, check the ingredients needed, and enjoy your market stroll. Here is yesterday's market basket! I bought three whole salads, a red lettuce, a lettuce, and a tender "oak leave" salad. They ar so fresh that I can keep them until I go back to the market next Friday. We have a bowl of green salad at least once a day. I do a vinaigrette and toss the salad before serving it. Of course, May is the month of asparragus - the ONLY one. I bought 3 lb of large ones. White asparagus are extremely delicate. I simply cut about 1 inch of the stem, peel them, boil them until soft, and serve them with a light mousseline sauce. You can have them cold or warm - but not hot. Asparagus are a starter, today I served poached free range chicken breasts as our main course.
I bought a bunch of fresh onions, I will use the onions to sautee with beans or with fresh fennel, I can also make a fresh salad. I use the greens, sliced, to make a tart with feta cheese, I'll make it Sunday night. I bought 1 lb of tomatoes, the first ones of the season! They looked ripe and of a tempting red. Salad? Yes: sliced onions, tomatoes, and cucumber: It's starting to feel like summer. A fresh salad and an only goat cheese platter, that's what you'll find at my dinner table tonight. I bought 2 lb of fresh spinach. I washed them, removed the stem, cooked them with a bit of water, drained them very well, and kept them in the fridge for the following day. We had them Saturday with a slice of cooked ham and a fried egg (organic). A French classic.
I bought a bunch of radishes .. you know if you read the my previous post I will serve them as hors d'oeuvre with butter and salt Sunday night. I made the potage with the leaves. It was delicious! I do not understand why I've been throwing away the leaves all this time!
I bought fennel and I prepared it with the spring onions, half red bell pepper cut in stripes, and a couple of tomatoes. I seasoned the fennel with Madras curry powder - for a change. I am going to have the fennel with steamed fish tomorrow for lunch.

What else? Well, I bought some potatoes, two medium onions, garlic, 6 free range eggs, 4 thin slices of cooked ham (for the spinach), carrots (just to have some in the fridge), 4 apples (last of the season), a baguette on the way home, and my two baskets were pretty heavy indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment