Guavas in Uruguay!

I love guavas. I have lived in Colombia, Kenya, and in several countries in Asia, where guavas are common; I used to find the round yellow pink inside fruit with a sharp yet sweet flavor that I loved.

My mother makes a delicious jam with it (pictured above) which sometimes I have had here in uruguay with yogurt as an afternoon snack.
In Brazil, they make a paste out of this fruit and sell it in rectangles called "ticholos". I have found them for sale in the Montevideo streets, and they have brought sweet childhood memories. Trust me, they are delicious too.

But Uruguay has a type of guavas that I have never seen elsewhere (picture above). They are small, green outside and whitish inside. The flavor is very close to the yellow ones. I cut them in two and eat them out of the skin with a small cofee spoon. I have had several pounds of guayabas so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment