A visit to my cellar

I live in a typical 19C Parisian stone building. These 6-7 storeys buildings have all a similar architecture, and give Paris the feeling of harmony one experiences when visitng.
Every one of these buildings has two floors of basements where the cellars are.
They were meant to store wine - although we now used them as storage of everything we cannot fit in our small flats: suit cases, Xmas decorations, old furniture, tools .. and more.
The walls are in rough stone and the entrance arched. The doors are pretty rustic!

We have around 150 bottles stored - and classified - in our cellar. There is always Champagne! I have some fine wines here, such as Pomerols, Saint Emilions, Pauillac, and more. I love Bordeaux wines!

You can see here the stone which contrary to convrete, "breathes" and creates a perfect environnement for wine storage. No need of sophisticated systems that keep temperature and humidity even! Natural materials work great.

When it comes to whites, my favorite are Sancerre, Pouilly Fume, Chablis, and some Savennieres! The very yellow bottle on top is a Sauternes I keep for foie gras.
When I buy wine, I ask how long it needs to be stored before drinking it, and how long it can be kept, and I write it on tags that help me find my way when I want a bottle.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment