Tartiflette Weather

When it gets really cold in New Orleans people like to say, "it's Gumbo weather." Here in France, when the temperature dips this low (-3 degrees C this morning and I doubt it will get above freezing today) I like to say," it's Tartiflette weather."



Now, I realize that because I live in the Languedoc I should be saying, "it's Cassoulet weather." (I say that sometimes too)
But who can resist a dish of layered potatoes, onions, bacon and crème fraîche, smothered with bubbly, melted Reblochon cheese?
Not me!

The recipe is super easy and I like to serve it with a big green salad so I don't feel so bad about all the cream and cheese I've just inhaled.

Tartiflette
serves 4
  • 2 pounds potatoes
  • 8 ounces lardons fumé or cubed, smoked bacon
  • 1 onion
  • 1 Reblochon cheese, sliced in half crosswise
  • 2 tablespoons crème fraiche or heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Peel potatoes and boil in salted water until cooked through. When finished, drain and cut in thick slices.
  3. Sauté the bacon until cooked through, but not crisp, then add the onions and sauté until softened.
  4. Cover the bottom of a gratin dish with slices of potatoes, then with a layer of the onions and bacon. Repeat with the potatoes, etc...
  5. Add the cream, pour the wine over and cover with the halved Reblochon, rind on top.
  6. Put in the oven and cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, then lower the heat to 350 degrees and cook about 15 minutes more, until the Reblochon is melted and golden.

If you're not in France, Reblochon can be purchased through amazon.com

.

No comments:

Post a Comment