Eurostar to London & lunch at Texture

The Eurostar takes you to London in less than 3 hours ... London is so so different from Paris, that if you want a true change ... why not try it! If you book in advance, you get fares as low as 70 Euros round trip!
You know how much I like the contrast of textures when it comes to food - and life! So you wil not be surprised to know that while in London, I pushed the door into Textures a cosy London restuarant close to Portman square (and Selfridges, the department store on Oxford Street). Actually I learned in France to read the menu outside the door and walk in if I find the menu temptimg - which indeed I found. I optend for an all-fish menu: Organic Scottish salmon and cod (oh, I love cod). I am not an easy client, and I am sure the Maitre d'o thought would agree. As I walked in, I discovered a delightful bar with velvet beige arm chairs. I also saw a wide range of Champagnes (which I love love) and a magnificent bouquet of flowers in a very large vase.
However, the dining room was behind the bar and I was disappointed because I had simply loved the light coming through the old tall windows, so the Maitre d'O promtly proposed that I have lunch in one of the comfortable corners of the bar. Thank you. He then brought the menu, and to my disappointment no cod no slamon. I inquiried and he said that the menu changes everyday and this was today's menu ... I guess he saw I was truly disappointed and swiftly went to see the Chef to ask what could be done. And guess what? I had salmon as an appetizer and cod as the main course: it was sophisticated and delicious. I ordered a glass of white wine from the Rhone Valley, excellent! My other options were a Riesling (too fruity for fish), a Bordeaux (and I do not enjoy the white dry Bordeaux), a chenin from a place I didn't know and you know how important "terroir" is(terroir is the soil where the grapes grow, whoch gives wine a distinctive taste, the same grapes grown in different soils do not taste alike!), a Chablis Premier cru (love Chablis, but it was too expensive) and this Rhone Valley white.The mise-en-bouche was a "verrine" served in a small tea cup (no handle) of celery puree with a mirepoix of turnips and celery root ... when I tasted it, I know I was at the right place! This is when textures really started captivating me!Having lived in Asia for so many years, I love the blend of exotic flavors in my food- I always say I inveted "world cuisine" before it bore a real name! The small salmon half cooked portion was served over a lemongrass flavored light yogurt and a carrot watery cream, half frosted .... some dices of papaye on one side and a few edible very small orchids ... plus a few greens for decoration.The main course was cod, presented on a mashed potato, perfectly cooked, and with stir-fried red bell peppers in mirepoix on top and aside. Extremely delicate. Imagine all those textures in your mouth. A one eight of artichoke also stir-fried was on the side. I must confess I did not eat the avocado cream, too many falvors.
I did not have time for dessert, but the options were as tempting.
Bon appetit!
I paid GBP 25.50 for my meal, very good value!

No comments:

Post a Comment