The Crescent City




My annual trek to the Crescent City begins tomorrow. At 3:15 AM. Oh joy.
After thirteen hours of flying time and more than eight hours of sitting in various airports I will finally land, very excited, yet exhausted from not being able to sleep in those instruments of torture they call economy class seats.

I try very hard not to complain about flying and to remember that it is only several hours out of my life, and so worth it to have the ability to get halfway across the world in less than a day, but when you're as short as I am, those headrests that are there to support the necks of normal sized people actually thrust the heads of us shorter people forward, causing agonizing neck pain after 11 hours on a transatlantic flight.

The other night I had a dream that the airline gave away my seat before I got on the plane so they offered me a big, roomy one in first class to apologize.
Ah, if only my dream would come true...

I'm not holding my breath.




Anyway....
You won't be reading about cheese and wine and France, or seeing any photos of the local markets, villages and vineyards for the next few weeks.

It will be all about New Orleans - friends and festivities, po boy's and Mardi Gras parades, and hopefully a visit to The Marigny Brasserie, the St. James Cheese Company (you can't expect me to go 3 weeks without at least some cheese, can you?) and Donald Link's new charcuterie place next door to the spectacular Cochon.

Then I fly off to Spokane, Washington, where I grew up, to visit family and friends and buy as much soft peanut butter brittle that can fit in my suitcase. My only disappointment about going to Spokane...no Trader Joe's to loot!


So I'll be around, posting photos and writing a bit from the road.

À bientôt.


No comments:

Post a Comment