Turkey in Paris: Rose Lukum

What a delight! Turkish lukums scented with rose extract was what I had with a Turkish coffee today.
Lukum is a Turkish delicacy that is found in many countries around the Mediterranean and beyond: Turkey, Greece, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Bosnia, Albania, Romania, and also Tunisia and Morocco. The name Lukum comes probably from the Turkish word lokum, and the latter may come from the arab word rahat-ul holkum or from the greek version of the arab name, loukoumia. It is made with starch and sugar (lots of sugar!) and the traditional flavor is rose, but other flavors are also available, sometimes with pices of pistacchio or other nuts inside. They are served with lots of powder sugar.

I made Turkish coffee in the coffee brass pot (I have three, for 2, 4, and 6 cups) I brought from Beghdad, where I learend to make this thick coffee. I always open a few cardamon pods and put the seeds in the pot when I am boiling teh water. It gives coffee a delicious flavor. I had it without sugar - lukums had plenty!

No comments:

Post a Comment