A last Amsterdam Treat

As Dutch cuisine has not many mysteries to be explored, so my Amsterdam treats have been more spiritual, if I may say!


I love love love opera and when I travel for work or leisure, I always try to get tickets for a performance - no matter what's on stage! Thus, I have been able to see productions in Stockholm's beautiful Royal Swedish Opera, in Copenhagen at The Opera for an opening season performance of Verdi's Lady Macbeth that was attended by the Queen of Denmark, in London at Covent Gardens, where the Royal Opera House 's la Boheme made me discover the beautiful voice of Marcelo Alvarez, the Argentinian tenor, in Budapest at the Operahaz (oh, a wonderful La Traviata back in 1992), in Venice, the season when La Fenice opened after the fire, in Sarasota, (where we had Champagne in plastic glasses), Santa Fe. under the rain before it was covered.. and more!
So during my Amsterdam visit I headed for the Muziektheater to attend a performance of Bellini's I Puritani. Arriving was magic as next to the old buildings, an old bridge, a canal, and the house boats, the Opera House shines with a thousand neon lights! Light is the main theme, the entrance is full of white light as well. Inside the building, there are neon lights that underscore the lines of the balconies and stairs. The carpet is coral color, creating a smooth warm atmosphere. As you push two double doors to walk inside the hall, there is a transition of colors, from Coral through dark red (bordeaux), to shocking red .... Here are the four colors in two wall panels and two different colors of carpet.
Yes, the interior in full shocking red seats over 1600 people and shines with hundreds of lights in the ceiling (the lights hide all the lights' beams and scene spots) and alongside the two balconies. I had an excellent seat in the orchestra bought at the last minute through the opera house website (row 9). I could "touch" the performers! It was full of emotion and I was very happy to be there. At the end of Act I, I had a salmon sandwich with a glass of wine in one fo the many bars.
I was in a perfect mood!
The performance finished at 11:15 pm and I headed home with my head full of music and emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment