Amsterdam discovery: Good chocolate!

When you bike in Amsterdam you may be surprised to bump into a draw bridge! Which is what happened to me this morning as I was exploring Amsterdam's not so well known neighborhoods.
As I biked the tempting smell of chocolate coming from a small shop called Chocolaterie Arti Shop compelled me to stop on the spot.
I walked into the shop with a careful eye, as I do not eat any chocolate not made with cocoa butter. Why? BEWARE, real "chocolate" is only chocolate made with cocoa butter, not with hydrogenated oils (berk!); however, European regulations allow now to call "chocolate" the paste made with these oils. In France and Belgium, most chocolate is still real chocolate ... . but I didn't know here.
So I walked in to have a look. There were three tables with delightful imitation Louis XV chairs painted in silver color and covered in flashing colors. I sat down and orderd a macchiato. It was served in an oval metal plate with a chocolate in an individual plate and a glass of sparkling water. I tasted the chocolate, and to my surprise I felt in my mouth the real thing !
I moved then to the tempting counter searching for something that would translate the Dutchness of the chocolate made here and found these imitation Dutch tiles made in white chocolate (Euros 12.5 each) of which I bought two to give as gift back in Paris.
Among the many other treats, I spotted Orangettes (chocolate dipped candy orange rinds), nougat covered chocolate, chocolate truffles, and more.
If you come to Amsterdam and you're looking for an out of the beaten track experience, come to this shop! It is located at Koningginnweg 141.

No comments:

Post a Comment