Chinese New Year!

Xin Nian Kuai Le! The end of the year of the tiger saw me landing in Beijing. It was just a couple of months before the Chinese New year which had been a good one for my family, for sure, we had been posted in China. The winter of 1986-87 was very very cold and in the frozen whitness of Beijing I discovered the warmth and joy of this celebration.
It seems so far .. it's again the year of the Tiger ... that was ... 24 years ago .. oh, my!
So, to all my Asian friends: Happy New Year of the Tiger!
Since then, almost every year, we have a Chinese banquit together with friends who, like us, lived in Asia. Today February 13 I am having a special meal at my place and I thank Anncoo for the two recipes she sent me: A stir and pork chops in orange sauce. Visit her blog for more! I went to Chinatown which was crowded and full of smelss and found small red tigers. I bought eight and placed one per guest.
I also bought fake paper money, attached it with a red ribbon (I didn't have red envelopes) and placed it in a basket to have it ready to give every guest when they leave. This will spell a prosperous year for all!
As usual, my two little friends smile and wish us well!

Feb 14. My menu:
4 cold dishes

Pork by Anncoo
Stir by Anncoo
Chicken curry (Chinese curry)
Beef with onions

Spicy Prawns
Lacquered pork
Lacquered duck
Steamed Scallops

Steamed rice

Soup

Mangoes, oranges, and Lychies

We offered QingDao Beer, fruit juices, Mao Tai for the campei's, and ... white Rully Burgandy wine.

How fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment